Linum Consult’s client is a leading management and engineering consultancy that provide experienced project management, technical services and commercial expertise to major civil infrastructure contractors. They are urgently looking for a Principal Design Engineer specialising in Civil Engineering to be based in Birmingham, covering projects across the country.
- Leading and growing a small design team, including the development of a client base, the hiring of design engineers, and the mentoring of junior design engineers
- Managing scopes within an agreed budget of hours, and utilising the best resources available, including overseas
- Undertaking design duties across all facets of the company’s engineering services under the general area of Specialised Temporary Works and Permanent Works Design, from concept through to construction, whilst considering the impact on permanent works
- Working with the Design Team to conceptualise structural solutions, embracing agreed concepts, and further developing structural designs and documentation to a required level of completion
- Providing design deliverables such as design briefs, return briefs, reports, calculations, design-driven construction sequence statements
- Coordinating with the design team, both UK and international, and transferring information clearly to the drafter/detailer
- Assisting with technical input and estimates to help with tenders and proposals
- Bachelor’s degree qualification in Structural/Civil Engineering, with a chartership to the Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- At least 8 years’ experience in structural steel and concrete design, with a strong understanding of structural systems and load path based on first principles
- Experience in complex structural engineering, such as complex bridge projects, complex methodologies, etc.
- Familiarity with the UK Standard Design Codes of Practice
- Specialist skills in FEM modelling, and working knowledge of at least one of the following: SpaceGass, midas Civil, Strand7, Autodesk suite including Robot, Tekla Structures/Tedds
- Ideally have some site experience and a practical attitude to solving construction-related problems
- Only candidates that already have the right to live and work in the UK can be considered.
If you fulfil ALL of the key criteria for this position, then please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Neill Donald. If your application is successful you will be contacted within 48 hours for a further discussion.